Look who's here!

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Afro-Turk Jazz Singer Melis Sokman


While in Ankara for my orientation, I had the pleasure of meeting the famous Turkish jazz singer, Melis Sokman.  As a lover of jazz, it would seem that meeting a famous jazz singer in Turkey would be enough but meeting Melis Sokman was special for more than one reason.  Melis happens to be an Afro-Turk.  As an African American it should not be a surprise that such an encounter would be of particular importance to me.  I have been curious about the Afro-Turkish community since I learned of their existence and meeting Melis has served to add kindling to this burning curiosity.  I am hoping that this meeting will turn into a project that will enable me to share information about the Afro-Turks with people at home.  I am particularly interested in how the legacy of slavery has affected the Afro-Turks differently than it has affected the descendants of the Atlantic slave trade.  Most of the Turkish people that I speak with about the slave trade of the Ottoman Empire emphasize that the brand of slavery that existed in the West is markedly different from the slavery that existed here.  Given the differences, however, how have the Afro-Turks fared in Turkey?  

I am planning to see Melis this week when she performs in Ankara.

2 comments: