Look who's here!

Friday, September 2, 2011

Bye, Bye Turkcell


http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkpv4m_turkcell-ozturkcell-afrika_shortfilms

Dear Turkcell,

Thank you for furthering the cause of ignorance in Türkiye with the airing of your ÖzTurkcell commercial which depicts Turkish people sitting in huge pots in Africa while waiting to be served up for dinner to a group of savage Africans. This was just the image that Türkiye needed at this time as they pursue humanistic efforts in Somalia. In fact, it may have been possible to see the story about Turkish aid in Somalia on the news and then be brought back down to reality with your genius commercial. Good for you, Turkcell! Job well done!

Not only have you succeeded in perpetuating negative stereotypes, you have also made it very difficult for me to watch Turkish television with the fear that I may be insulted over and over by these images. I thank you because I needed to read more, anyway. This commercial has made it a bit more difficult for me to use public transportation and frequent shopping areas and restaurants, too, since children who are already afraid of my dark skin now have confirmation from you that I am waiting for the proper moment to pounce on them and make them my afternoon snack. I needed to walk more, anyway and the money I'll save from not eating out and shopping will come in handy, I’m sure. I also want to thank you for illumining students and teachers who come from African nations, Europe, America and other foreign places to educate and be educated in Türkiye. We were all beginning to suffer from a false dream of security and acceptance from which we needed to be violently awakened. In this vein, I do, indeed, have peace of mind or “kafası rahat,” as you say. What about the home-grown people with African roots, the Afrika Kökenli Türkler? I cannot speak for them but I’m sure that they must appreciate you, too. I like how your commercial seems to indicate a wild abandon and dismissal of the UNESCO 2010 International Year of Rapprochement, which aimed to do something crazy like, integrate “the principles of dialogue and mutual knowledge…in hope of correcting flawed cultural representations, values and stereotypes.” You’re right, Turkcell, that is so last year!! (http://www.unesco.org/culture/pdf/2010/2010_leaflet_en) Anyway, the European Union named Istanbul the European Capital of Culture in 2010, why do you need to pander to UNESCO? I get it, really!

With all of this said, Turkcell, I must say that I have to part company with you. Yes, this is a “Dear John,” or “Dear Turkcell” letter. With all of your success in helping me to read more, walk more, save money and not live in a fantasy of acceptance, I still have this sneaking suspicion that we are growing apart. I know, it’s me, not you. I could say, I want to concentrate on my career, as a proponent of tolerance but that seems a bit too cliche. Yes, I know, you quite enjoy cliche but I’m afraid, it’s over. I need to explore other options, other companies which may not need to exploit people to sell services. Of course, I know you’ll find somebody new to mock but for now, my dear, sweet Turkcell, we’re through.

Warmest regards,

Aundreta Conner Farris (ex-subscriber)

P.S.

Discontinuing the commercial is not enough. You need to publicly apologize. If not to the people of African descent who happily reside in Türkiye, then to the tolerant Turkish people whom you have misrepresented with this offensive commercial and the Afrika Kökenli Türkler with whom you share nationality. Don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine.

P.S.S.

http://www.stevebaric.ws/index.php/2011/09/03/response-to-zaman-zaman-bye-bye-turkcell/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=response-to-zaman-zaman-bye-bye-turkcell

12 comments:

  1. I felt exactly the same way. I too thought it was offensive and insensitive. I was like falling into "Mad Men" world without the irony. Thanks for the post and calling attention to this objectionable ad campaign. Be sure to tweet it and upload a link onto Facebook because the people who dreamt up this ad need to be called to account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nomad. Unfortunately, all is quiet on Facebook and Twitter. Not many seem to care at all. I have some African friends who are extremely upset but other than that, no outcry...the revolution may be televised after all but I am afraid that everyone will be asleep with their remotes falling out of their hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slowly, slowly, people have to have time to THİNK and respond.

    "Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
    - John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps you could appeal to a competitive cell service provider to launch an ad campaign which is more respective of all cultures. Even if such an ad stopped shy of mentioning TurkCell and they're tasteless advertising tactics it would still draw a noticeable contrast between offensive stereotypical type advertisements versus advertisement that is tactful yet effective. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there, as a non-African Turk I was sincerely saddened to read about what you feel. This ad is really disgraceful. It's very reckless and dumb. I am very sorry to hear about what you endure. I saw this on twitter so I guess that idea works, I suggest you keep tweeting.
    Meanwhile I Googled the situation in Turkish and found that a pro human-rights media organization and media monitor wrote about this: http://bianet.org/biamag/dunya/132402-yamyam-afrikalilar-ve-cicek-gibi-kurt-kizlari

    Also a mainstream Turkish author Nihal Bengisu Karaca wrote about it or mentioned it I'm not sure, I saw a reference to it but can't find the source http://www.ihlsozluk.com/nedir.php?&q=turkcell+reklam%C4%B1ndaki+yamyamlar
    Also some blogs picked it up http://blog.ozgurabaci.com/turkcell-is-it-not-vodafone-commercial-turkcell-mi-o-vodafone-reklami-degil-mi/ as well as some communities http://www.uludagsozluk.com/k/son-turkcell-reklam%C4%B1ndaki-insanl%C4%B1k-dram%C4%B1/

    Anyway I just wanted to say that there are people who care enough to protest. I haven't watched it because I don't watch television.

    I am really sorry that this disaster goes on in this day and age. You should also know that the "comedian" behind that video is currently under fire for being "not funny" and producing "toilet humor" and I agree with the critics.

    Also check out: http://www.afroturk.com/

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, "Random" and "NLight". I was beginning to feel as though I was shouting in the dark. I have been living in Türkiye for three years and I have a profound love and admiration for my students and the people whom I've met. This commercial, however, makes my journey and attempts at sharing very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aundreta,
    The commercial is totally senseless! I haven't been able to watch TV at all lately, I am wondering if they are still continuing to show it.
    Besides, let's talk about what we can do to arouse attention in order to discontinue this commercial?

    Derya from Diyarabakır (currenlt in Gaziantep)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've received a response from Turkcell that did not seem to genuinely reflect any acknowledgement of the pain that this type of commercial can cause. What do you suggest? BTW, I hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If a driver makes a mistake, It is an accident.. If a doctor makes a mistake, It's an operation.. If a engineer makes a mistake, It is a new venture... If a politician makes a mistake, It is a new law... If a scientist makes a mistake, It is a new invention... IF A TELEVISION PROGRAMMER MAKES A MISTAKE, IT IS A RATING WAR… But during these mistakes we cannot think correctly. Real War takes the people’s lives and this rating war takes our sensitivity, humanity, mutual respect and intimacy. So we don’t need to invent new types of robots, our next generations (in front of TV) are the candidate of future robots instead of being real human. Need To Behave(think) Like A Human at least TIME TO TIME!!! İbrahim KURT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great point İbrahim Bey! Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I can't imagine this actually ran on TV. I am a visitor from Chicago and thought American TV could be bad. I have not seen this kind of trash since Tarzan the Ape Man. You have every reason to leave. You were incredibly polite. I would have blasted and continue to blast Turkcell until they figure it out. I felt crappy watching it. Is it really possible such ignorance still exists?
    -ralph braseth, white dude from the u.s.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your comment Ralph. Unfortunately, there have been other, equally disturbing ads airing in Turkey such as one featuring Hitler advertising shampoo! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLzxuiQtzqE&noredirect=1

    ReplyDelete